4.2.18 SAME RECORD AREA Clause
The SAME RECORD AREA clause specifies that two or more files are to use
the same main storage area for processing the current logical record. All
of the files can be open at the same time. A logical record in the shared
storage area is considered to be both of the following:
More than one SAME RECORD AREA clause can be included in a program.
- A logical record of each opened output file in the SAME RECORD AREA
- A logical record of the most recently read input file in the SAME
RECORD AREA clause.
The files named in the SAME RECORD AREA clause need not have the same
organization or access.
- A specific file-name must not appear in more than one SAME RECORD AREA
- If one or more file-names of a SAME AREA clause appear in a SAME
RECORD AREA clause, all the file-names in that SAME AREA clause must
appear in that SAME RECORD AREA clause. However, the SAME RECORD AREA
clause can contain additional file-names that do not appear in the
SAME AREA clause.
- The rule that in the SAME AREA clause only one file can be open at one
time takes precedence over the SAME RECORD AREA rule that all the
files can be open at the same time.
- If the SAME RECORD AREA clause is specified for several files, the
record description entries or the file description entries for these
files must not include the GLOBAL clause.
- X The SAME RECORD AREA clause must not be specified when the RECORD
X CONTAINS 0 CHARACTERS clause is specified.
© Copyright IBM Corp. 1991, 1998
IBM Library Server Copyright 1989, 2005 IBM Corporation. All rights reserved.
Return to library:
IBM Hardware |
IBM System z Redbooks
How to order publications
Download IBM Library Reader |
Download IBM Softcopy Reader |
Download Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
Download IBM Softcopy Librarian
Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, the Acrobat logo, and Acrobat Reader are registered trademarks
of Adobe Systems incorporated.