4.2.17 SAME AREA Clause
>_Workstation_> Under AIX, OS/2, and Windows, the SAME AREA clause is
treated as a comment. <_Workstation_<
The SAME AREA clause specifies that two or more files, that do not
represent sort or merge files, are to use the same main storage area
The files named in a SAME AREA clause need not have the same organization
Must be specified in the FILE-CONTROL paragraph of the same program.
File-name-3 and file-name-4 cannot reference an external file
More than one SAME AREA clause can be included in a program. However:
- For QSAM files, the SAME clause is treated as documentation.
- For OS/390 VSAM files, the SAME clause is treated as if equivalent to
the SAME RECORD AREA.
- A specific file-name must not appear in more than one SAME AREA
- If one or more file-names of a SAME AREA clause appear in a SAME
RECORD AREA clause, all the file-names in that SAME AREA clause must
appear in that SAME RECORD AREA clause. However, the SAME RECORD AREA
clause can contain additional file-names that do not appear in the
SAME AREA clause.
- The rule that in the SAME AREA clause only one file can be open at one
time takes precedence over the SAME RECORD AREA rule that all the
files can be open at the same time.
© Copyright IBM Corp. 1991, 1998
IBM Library Server Copyright 1989, 2005 IBM Corporation. All rights reserved.
Return to library:
IBM Hardware |
IBM System z Redbooks
How to order publications
Download IBM Library Reader |
Download IBM Softcopy Reader |
Download Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
Download IBM Softcopy Librarian
Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, the Acrobat logo, and Acrobat Reader are registered trademarks
of Adobe Systems incorporated.