X 3.1.3 METHOD-ID Paragraph
X The METHOD-ID paragraph specifies the name by which a method is known and
X assigns selected attributes to that method. It is required and must be
X the first paragraph in a method Identification Division.
X A user-defined word or a nonnumeric literal that identifies the
X The rules of formation for method-name-1 are as follows:
- X If the method name is specified in the user-defined word format,
X then normal COBOL rules for a user-defined word apply.
- X If the method name is specified as a nonnumeric literal, then:
- X The name can be up to 160 characters in length.
- X The characters used in the name must be uppercase or lowercase
X alphabetic, digit, hyphen, or underscore.
- X At least one character must be alphabetic.
- X Hyphen cannot be used as the first or last character.
X A clause that allows a subclass to override an existing method
X implementation when it inherits a method from a parent class.
X You must specify the OVERRIDE clause in the METHOD-ID paragraph, if
X method-name-1 is overriding a method with the same name that is
X inherited from a parent class.
X Do not specify the OVERRIDE clause if the method is not inherited from
X an ancestor class, and is being introduced by the current class
© Copyright IBM Corp. 1991, 1998
IBM Library Server Copyright 1989, 2005 IBM Corporation. All rights reserved.
Return to library:
IBM Hardware |
IBM System z Redbooks
How to order publications
Download IBM Library Reader |
Download IBM Softcopy Reader |
Download Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®
Download IBM Softcopy Librarian
Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat, the Acrobat logo, and Acrobat Reader are registered trademarks
of Adobe Systems incorporated.